Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today, my Mom, Doris Fugger Wolper, turned 86.  We had a wonderful celebration for her last night.  Mom has had a great influence on my life, and last evening, at my sister Mary's, we celebrated in a way best suited for Mom.  Mom's early life was not the happiest, but things changed when she met and married Dad.  Add to that six children, and eventually, five grandchildren, and Mom's life was complete. 

A close family was always so important to her - something she instilled in all of us.  Getting together as a family has consistently brought happiness to Mom, and so, it was fitting to celebrate her birthday as a family - not with fighting and arguments, like, sadly, she experienced in her childhood, but with a lot of joking and laughs - never in short supply at our family gatherings.  Reminscing about favorite Mom memories was a hoot!  (Thanks to my brother Joe for the "roast" - it was so much fun!)  :-)

I cannot remember a time when Mom looked this happy, and that was great to see.   Of course, everyone eating a LOT of food was always part of the equation for Mom, and food was plentiful (and tasty!) at Mom's birthday dinner.  Missing (in person) were grandchildren Jeff, Chris, and Allie, who are all away for their studies, but they were close in our hearts - especially Mom's!


So, what have I learned from Mom?  Oh, the list is long, but some of the things I've learned are as follows:

  • to love with my whole heart
  • family is what it's all about
  • to enjoy cooking and baking
  • to stay true to who I am
  • to fight for what I think is right
  • to stand by those I love

Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love you, and I'm happy to celebrate yet another birthday with you!!!

1 comment: