Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2012

Variety is the Spice of Life!

Thinking back on previous jobs I've had, I think I tend to get bored easily.  I wouldn't say I have a lengthy job history, but I have felt more satisfied with work when I've had flexibility, freedom, and variety in my job.  Money has never been the driving factor for me.  I may regret that when I retire, but I don't know if I'll ever WANT to retire!

I've said before how much I LOVE my business.  I think a part of that is because I've crafted my business to give me what helps me feel fulfilled.  In any given week, I may be baking a shower cake, teaching a kids' candy making program, meeting with possible new venues about cooking programs, baking cookie trays, delivering baked goods, going to a wedding vendor networking event, teaching an adult hors d'oeuvres program, emailing/calling prospective customers, training new instructors, and prepping/packing for upcoming programs.  I'll bet you think it sounds like a LOT!  I don't - it doesn't even feel like work to me.  I get to do a little of everything - spend time working alone, spend time with others (especially children who can be so much fun!), teaching/training, playing with food.  It's all enjoyable to me, and that helps the time pass quickly.

When I have "nothing" to do, I tend to bake!  And, when I'm teaching folks how to cook or when I'm baking, I'm at my happiest.

I began my business within a month after that dreadful day in US history, September 11, 2001.  I'm sure many people thought I was crazy, and the economy hasn't improved much, if at all, since then.  But, there's a lot to be said about living your dream!  And, I'm doing just that.

I hope you, too, have a job that makes you feel happy and fulfilled.  Comment below and let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article Kathy!

    I, too, love my job and it's not for the money, but for helping others get the best for their special occasion. I meet lots of wonderful people, either in person or just by phone/e-mail and we talk, get to know each other and it's really nice.

    I also love the networking events where I see you, among other wonderful professionals.

    Hope to see you in March!

    Deborah Carasso
    Unique Invitations
    www.invitationsbydeborah.com

    ReplyDelete