Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Luck o' the Irish to Ye!

March 17 is such a fun day for me!  You see, my REAL first name is Kathleen - can't get more Irish than that!  And, my paternal grandmother's maiden name was McGarry.  As if this wasn't Irish enough, I went to St. Patrick School from grades 1-8, and later, I taught 3rd grade there (in my childhood classroom) for five years.  Since my Dad's family and many in my Mom's family also attended St. Pat's, we've always been big on St. Patty's Day.  But, our traditions didn't include drinking green beer - yeah, I know, what kind of Irish folks ARE we?!  ;-)  

Two of my favorite memories of St. Patty's Day were going to Mass and singing "Great and Glorious St. Patrick" at the recessional.  The IHM nuns used to HATE when we'd pronounce the saint's name as Pa-TRUCK, but with that hymn, that's what it sounded like if you were really singing it with gusto.

Hibernia’s champion saint all hail
With fadeless glory crowned
The offspring of your ardent zeal
Today your praise shall sound.
Refrain:
Great and glorious St. Patrick
Pray for that dear country,
(the land of our fathers)
Great and glorious St. Patrick,
Hearken to the prayers of thy children.

My other memory involved food - big surprise!  We always made those delectable sweet morsels known as Irish Potatoes.  No potatoes are in these goodies, but they sure look like mini-potatoes, if they're made correctly.  In fact, while I was teaching at St. Pat's, I taught my students how to make them.  So, I'm sharing the luck o' the Irish with all of you this year.  Here's the recipe.  Enjoy!

IRISH POTATOES


• 2 lbs. powdered sugar ("10X" powdered)
• 1/4 lb. butter (1 stick - do NOT substitute margarine)
• 8 oz. cream cheese (do NOT substitute fat-free or lowfat)
• 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• 10-12 oz. coconut (shredded, sweetened - omit to make 'plain' butter cream candies)
• cinnamon


Blend powdered sugar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla and blend. Add coconut and stir in completely. Chill mixture (several hours in refrigerator, covered - this step is optional, but helps the 'ball making'). Roll into balls or baking potato shapes - do NOT round perfectly (imperfections make the candy look more like potatoes). Chill (they will 'weep' into the cinnamon if too warm). Serve cool or room temperature. Makes 4 lbs. 

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment