Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake!

As part of networking for the BAKING part of my business, I attend many wedding vendor networking events.  I've become acquainted with Mark Kingsdorf of Queen of Hearts Catering.  He heads up a benefit for City of Hope each year, and it's called "Let Them Eat Cake".  It's held at the Loews Hotel in center city Philadelphia, and about 40 bakers participate.  Many wedding planners, brides and grooms, foodies, and local movers and shakers attend this wonderful event...to admire the talent present in the room in the form of amazing-looking cakes and to taste all of the cakes (and/or take some samples home - for...breakfast?)  :-)

Last year, I participated for the first time.  I baked the cake for samples, and a young baker named Brittany Snyder, from Splendora Cake and Tea Company designed the cake.  It was fun, and everyone seemed to enjoy our cake.

This year, Brittany wasn't available to participate, and at the same time that she told me, I brought on a culinary instructor named Shannon Quaile.  Shannon has just started her cake design business, The Yellow Box Bakery, and she has so much talent!

I really admire both of these young women, because my talent is in the TASTE of my cakes - and I only do basic design (although I do it well)!

Shannon agreed to partner with me and collaborate on an entry this year.  The cake samples I offered were my Snow White cake with homemade strawberry glace filling and vanilla buttercream frosting.  I've attached a photo of the cake Shannon created.  Simply amazing!

The theme for this year's event was "Under the Big Top".  As you can see, Shannon's creation was a seal, balancing a ball, holding and elephant, and topped with a groom (lion) and bride (lion tamer).  It was fun to watch people admiring the cake, from bottom to top.  Invariably, they'd get to the top, see the bride and groom, and grin.  It was too cool!

My thanks to Shannon for making me look good at this year's event!

No comments:

Post a Comment