Total Pageviews

Friday, September 7, 2012

Open-Faced Sandwich

I know it's been a long, long time since I posted.  But, I have a good reason.  Between my busy camp season for Kitchen Wizards and some family issues, there was really no time.

Mom had a serious health problem at the end of May/beginning of June.  She never thought she'd ride in a helicopter, but at age 86, she was airlifted to Hospital of University of Pennsylvania.  The doctors were amazed that she was alive.  You see, her electrolytes were so out of whack that her levels were "not compatible with life", so we were told by doctors.  It was rough going for awhile.  After being discharged from HUP to go to Shannondell for rehab, Mom was admitted (briefly) to Montgomery Hospital, then back to Shannondell.  Shannondell proved to be a GREAT experience for Mom - they were caring, helpful, and gave me back a Mom I hadn't seen in about a decade! 

While Mom was in rehab, we moved Mom AND Dad into BrightView Senior Living.  They're living in an independent apartment, with breakfasts and dinners provided, lots of social opportunities, and reconnecting with folks they knew in their earlier years who are also residents.  The place is beautiful - reminds me of a country inn - and it has the feel of living on a cruise ship.  I'm happy that my parents have the time and opportunity to reap the benefits of their life of hard work.

So, why the title of my post?  Well, I often hear about people of my age being in the "Sandwich Generation".  Since I have no kids, my "sandwich" is open-faced.  But, what I've learned through this health scare with Mom is that I love my parents with all of my heart, and I'd do anything for them!  I KNOW how fortunate I am to still have both of my parents - and I'm hoping that they have many more years to enjoy their great new residence, their family, and their health.

No comments:

Post a Comment